I had the pleasure of giving a presentation on Social Media & Depression for the Interlace Cultural y Desarollo Integral Mexicano de Lehigh Valley, a Mexican cultural group in my hometown. In the presentation, I talk about the frighteningly strong connections between Social Media & Depression.
The actual presentation is below. But here are the highlights:
- As you can imagine, social media and teenagers and incredibly linked.
- The networks that teenagers use are constantly changing, but at the moment, Snapchat and Instagram are the preferred networks.
- The Hispanic community, as a whole, is overrepresentated on social media compared to other demographics.
- Social media does make people depressed and social media use is correlated with higher levels of depression.
- Social media depression can be combated by a change of mindset and by primarily remembering this: Social media is not the real world.